Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Jade gets The Croup!

This picture is the beginning of a semi-scary night at the hospital.  Jade started getting a cough sometime around Saturday, it's hard to say exactly when it started because she hadn't been feeling well since Wednesday, so it's hard to say when it morphed into croup.  
We have been temping fate for the past year or so going without health insurance and fate finally caught up with us.  Jade's cough sounded like your normal cough for a little while and then you could tell she was really having a tough time breathing, so, we decided to take her in to the doctor.  Pretty much right away when he saw her his first words were "I'd like to hospitalize her".  That's when I started to feel nervous.  He was afraid that eventually her throat would become so sore that it could just close off, causing her to not be able to breathe.  Seeing as how we don't have insurance though we tried to see what other options we had.  When it came down to it though it just wasn't worth the risk so we went to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center.
Jade was just so tired she didn't really seem bothered by people hooking her up to monitors and giving her breathing treatments, and she fell asleep pretty soon after her first treatment. 
She slept in this plastic humidifier tent.  Her hair eventually became soaking wet, but she seemed to be sleeping much better than she had been at home.
In the morning she seemed better and we were able to leave early that evening, nearly 24 hours later.
Here we are watching her favorite show, Yo Gabba Gabba.  She is doing better little by little even though I keep checking on her almost every five minutes.  We just can't wait to get our fun loving baby girl back. 

5 comments:

Brittany said...

Oh, poor Jade! Hopefully she is feeling back to normal soon. Hospitals are never fun!

Unknown said...

Oh! How sad!
Poor baby Jade! Croup is lousy!

And having to pay for all of it is lousy too!

Love you guys!

Cami said...

sorry to hear! We have been lucky and haven't had the croup...I am glad Jade is feeling better. Bummer about the bills!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear that Jade has been so sick! I too hope she feels better soon. That looks like it would have been very scary!!! My kids have had croup before, but never hospitalized. We just had breathing treatments at home. So Sad to see your child sick and strugling. Keep us posted. We miss you guys.

brian said...

That's terrible, what a bummer! I am so sorry, hopefully she will ge t better!